If you are looking for a light cake recipe to pair with summer strawberries, give this angel food cake a try. It is really more simple than you would think and very good on those hot summer nights.
Angel Food Cake Recipe
· 1 cup sifted cake flour (I did use cake flour)
· 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
· 10 large egg whites
· 1 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make angel food cake
· Preheat oven to 350°
· To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
· Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
· Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg white mixture; fold in. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in vanilla.
· Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through the batter with a knife. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert the cake onto a plate.
· Serve with fresh strawberries and a dollop of whip cream. YUM!!